Friday, February 24, 2012

Enterprise Manager blocks network on XP

I'm running XP SP2 (and all the latest hotfixes) and administer a
bunch of SQL2000 servers. Whenever I have enterprise manager running,
I find that my network access seems to block regularly. What I mean by
that is, If I open Explorer and try to access network drives, explorer
will hang for 10-15 second before responding. The same thing occurs
for other apps that access network drives (open/save dialogs, apps
with directory tree windows, etc).
Is anyone else seeing this same behavior? Any idea how to trace
something like this? It isn't network related according to a sniffer -
it seems more similar to they type of blocking we used to see with old
ODBC-based applications.
Thanks
What happens if you turn off the server state polling in
Enterprise Manager? On the menu go to tools then select
options. Clear the checkbox for Server State Polling on the
General tab.
You'd also want to check the event logs if turning off the
polling makes no difference.
-Sue
On 27 Feb 2007 12:28:53 -0800, steven.cardinal@.gmail.com
wrote:

>I'm running XP SP2 (and all the latest hotfixes) and administer a
>bunch of SQL2000 servers. Whenever I have enterprise manager running,
>I find that my network access seems to block regularly. What I mean by
>that is, If I open Explorer and try to access network drives, explorer
>will hang for 10-15 second before responding. The same thing occurs
>for other apps that access network drives (open/save dialogs, apps
>with directory tree windows, etc).
>Is anyone else seeing this same behavior? Any idea how to trace
>something like this? It isn't network related according to a sniffer -
>it seems more similar to they type of blocking we used to see with old
>ODBC-based applications.
>Thanks
|||I am hesitantly optimistic. Since turning that off, things seem
better. I was aware of the option in each server registration about
showing the server state (which, if turned off prompts me everytime I
want to connect) but wasn't aware of the global polling option.
Thank you very, very, very, very much
Steve
On Feb 27, 11:32 pm, Sue Hoegemeier <S...@.nomail.please> wrote:[vbcol=seagreen]
> What happens if you turn off the server state polling in
> Enterprise Manager? On the menu go to tools then select
> options. Clear the checkbox for Server State Polling on the
> General tab.
> You'd also want to check the event logs if turning off the
> polling makes no difference.
> -Sue
> On 27 Feb 2007 12:28:53 -0800, steven.cardi...@.gmail.com
> wrote:
>

No comments:

Post a Comment