Sunday, February 19, 2012

Enterprise Manager - SQL Server does not exist or access denied

Hi there,

We have a production server in our environment that I am the only one in the company who is having a problem hitting with Enterprise manager. The server is called 'PRODSQLSRV'. When I ping the server, I get the IP. When I try to connect to it using Enterprise manager, it shows up on the list of available servers, but then when I move it from the left box to the right box of the 'New SQL Server Registration' process, take the rest of the defaults, I get the message 'PRODSQLSRV - SQL Server does not exist or access denied'.

I have checked and I have both TCP/IP and Named Pipes enabled. At the suggestion of the Network admin, I manually typed in the server and domain name as 'PRODSQLSRV.VOLCANO.COM' (all names have been changed to protect the innocent) which is the server name + domain name. With this 'Enterprise manager works fine getting to the server. All this would be fine and good I guess, but none of our vendor written software which accesses that server works on my machine either. And they are not enclined to change their software just for my machine.

If anyone has any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! - Eric-

I am not sure what is cuasing.. it may be dns resolution issue...

You can add the name in host file or

You can create an alias in sql server "Client Network utility" to resolve this issue.

|||I tried both the HOST file entry and the Client Network Utility suggestion and neither one resolved the issue. Sorry. |||

looks more of a DNS issue but did you try registering with IP address only and not with the name, checking the TCPIP port at the server and client, all the required services at the server running and if other ppl in your network able to get it in their EM

|||Turned out that we had two machines with the same IP hard coded in them. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. _- Eric -

No comments:

Post a Comment