Sunday, February 19, 2012

enterprise manager (or other software) to document tables and columns for Server2k?

Hi,

We have enterprise manager for sql server 2000. I would like to store
comments about my database schema somewhere in the database. I want to
store information about the intent of tables and columns.

We have EM but I am open to any suggestions regarding products.metaperl (metaperl@.gmail.com) writes:
> We have enterprise manager for sql server 2000. I would like to store
> comments about my database schema somewhere in the database. I want to
> store information about the intent of tables and columns.
> We have EM but I am open to any suggestions regarding products.

You can use extended properites to this end, and that will inded put
data about the database into the database itself.

For more heavy-duty tools for data modelling, the three biggest tools
on that market are, I believe, PowerDesigner (from Sybase), ERWin
(from Computer Associates) and Embrocadero. These tools comes with a
price tag, though.

--
Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@.sommarskog.se

Books Online for SQL Server 2005 at
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pr...oads/books.mspx
Books Online for SQL Server 2000 at
http://www.microsoft.com/sql/prodin...ions/books.mspx

No comments:

Post a Comment