Sunday, February 19, 2012

Enterprise manager / register with name

Hi,

I connect to a server on an other location with a VPN connection.
The SQL server on the other side is running an instance "MAINSERVER"
There are no problems to register the server locally as mainserver, but when i connect with the VPN it isnt't possible to register the server with the name "MAINSERVER"
It is only possible to register with its IP address.

Has anyone an idea why i cant't connect using the name?

Thanks!Hey Leo,

Sounds like you have a DNS issue. Just a guess but are you running Windows 2000. I have had many problems with VPN when it comes to DNS and WINS. On the other hand my XP machines have no problem. I'm not sure what it is about 2000 but I would like to see what kind of answers you get on this one. Have you yourself looked into any DNS issues?

Kal

No comments:

Post a Comment