Friday, February 24, 2012

Enterprise Manager Behaviour for SQL 2000

Thanks in Advance,
I am seeing a strange behavior in the query interface on EM that is
new for me, and it has only occurred in a new environment. So I
believe that this is a configuration setting that one of you can point
out to me.
We I have multiple query windows open, if I turn my attention to
another task in remote desktop, the reminder that a query window has
not been in use for sometime pops up and asks if it can clear the
results. In this environment, that window somehow gets trapped behind
the query windows. This creates a catch 22. I cannot move the focus
to close any of the query windows to reveal the system message, and I
cannot get to the system message to allow me to move the focus.
Is there a configuration solution here?
Mark Simmerman
Napa, CADon't use "Open Table" in Enterprise Manager. Run a SELECT query in Query
Analyzer.
In Enteprise Manager, you are maintaining an association with the source
table (so that you can treat SQL Server like Excel, and edit a "cell"), and
this causes resource drain no matter how long you let it sit there.
<xxxdbaxxx@.gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1170262471.222466.129540@.l53g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Thanks in Advance,
> I am seeing a strange behavior in the query interface on EM that is
> new for me, and it has only occurred in a new environment. So I
> believe that this is a configuration setting that one of you can point
> out to me.
> We I have multiple query windows open, if I turn my attention to
> another task in remote desktop, the reminder that a query window has
> not been in use for sometime pops up and asks if it can clear the
> results. In this environment, that window somehow gets trapped behind
> the query windows. This creates a catch 22. I cannot move the focus
> to close any of the query windows to reveal the system message, and I
> cannot get to the system message to allow me to move the focus.
> Is there a configuration solution here?
> Mark Simmerman
> Napa, CA
>|||On Jan 31, 10:52 am, "Aaron Bertrand [SQL Server MVP]"
<ten...@.dnartreb.noraa> wrote:
> Don't use "Open Table" in Enterprise Manager. Run a SELECT query in Query
> Analyzer.
> In Enteprise Manager, you are maintaining an association with the source
> table (so that you can treat SQL Server like Excel, and edit a "cell"), and
> this causes resource drain no matter how long you let it sit there.
> <xxxdba...@.gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:1170262471.222466.129540@.l53g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>
> > Thanks in Advance,
> > I am seeing a strange behavior in the query interface on EM that is
> > new for me, and it has only occurred in a new environment. So I
> > believe that this is a configuration setting that one of you can point
> > out to me.
> > We I have multiple query windows open, if I turn my attention to
> > another task in remote desktop, the reminder that a query window has
> > not been in use for sometime pops up and asks if it can clear the
> > results. In this environment, that window somehow gets trapped behind
> > the query windows. This creates a catch 22. I cannot move the focus
> > to close any of the query windows to reveal the system message, and I
> > cannot get to the system message to allow me to move the focus.
> > Is there a configuration solution here?
> > Mark Simmerman
> > Napa, CA- Hide quoted text -
> - Show quoted text -
OK. Other than telling me to use another tool (in SQL 2005 they are
one and the same), is there any solution or configuration setting that
can address this?
Mark|||> OK. Other than telling me to use another tool (in SQL 2005 they are
> one and the same),
Yes, but you still have different options, like Open Table (bad), and query
windows (good).
> is there any solution or configuration setting that
> can address this?
Not that I know of.|||xxxdbaxxx@.gmail.com wrote:
> OK. Other than telling me to use another tool (in SQL 2005 they are
> one and the same), is there any solution or configuration setting that
> can address this?
> Mark
>
No, they're not really "one and the same". You can "open" tables using
a GUI, ala Enterprise Manager, or you can query them properly ala Query
Analyzer. The only difference in 2005 is that you don't "launch" two
seperate applications.
The limitations are the same - opening a table through the GUI is a
heavy process, prone to blocking. The GUI tools are acceptable for a
development environment, but should not be used against a production
system. Manipulating your tables properly, using T-SQL commands, is the
preferred method.
Tracy McKibben
MCDBA
http://www.realsqlguy.com|||On Feb 1, 7:34 am, Tracy McKibben <t...@.realsqlguy.com> wrote:
> xxxdba...@.gmail.com wrote:
> > OK. Other than telling me to use another tool (in SQL 2005 they are
> > one and the same), is there any solution or configuration setting that
> > can address this?
> > Mark
> No, they're not really "one and the same". You can "open" tables using
> a GUI, ala Enterprise Manager, or you can query them properly ala Query
> Analyzer. The only difference in 2005 is that you don't "launch" two
> seperate applications.
> The limitations are the same - opening a table through the GUI is a
> heavy process, prone to blocking. The GUI tools are acceptable for a
> development environment, but should not be used against a production
> system. Manipulating your tables properly, using T-SQL commands, is the
> preferred method.
> --
> Tracy McKibben
> MCDBAhttp://www.realsqlguy.com
OK. I am in a development environment. I would still like to know if
anyone has an answer to the question. It is an annoying behavior on
the part of the GUI. Do you guys get points for non-responsive
responses?
Mark|||> OK. I am in a development environment. I would still like to know if
> anyone has an answer to the question. It is an annoying behavior on
> the part of the GUI. Do you guys get points for non-responsive
> responses?
We don't get "points" for anything. We are here, volunteering our time to
help other people solve problems we might have insight on. Every once in a
while, the recipients feigns appreciation.
If "not that I know of" is not responsive enough for you, then maybe you
know of a better place to get more responsive answers, and should try there.
<shrug><sigh><resisting smacking own forehead>

No comments:

Post a Comment