Friday, February 24, 2012

Enterprise Manager appears to slow my dial up connection


I am using a dial up connection to the Internet and to an online SQL
Server database.

I have a problem in that when I use Enterprise Manager to access even
my local server , or even, it appears, when it is just open with no
connection to any SQL Server, I experience very slow data transfer
over my normal dial up connection.

I am reasonably sure it is Enterprise Manager causing the problem as
when I close it and redial I have an acceptable rate of data transfer
using my dial up connection.

Can anyone:

a. support my conclusion that Enterprise Manager is the probable
cause of the slow connection.

b. suggest a solution

Best wishes, John MorganJohn Morgan (jfm@.XXwoodlander.co.uk) writes:
> I am using a dial up connection to the Internet and to an online SQL
> Server database.
> I have a problem in that when I use Enterprise Manager to access even
> my local server , or even, it appears, when it is just open with no
> connection to any SQL Server, I experience very slow data transfer
> over my normal dial up connection.
> I am reasonably sure it is Enterprise Manager causing the problem as
> when I close it and redial I have an acceptable rate of data transfer
> using my dial up connection.
> Can anyone:
> a. support my conclusion that Enterprise Manager is the probable
> cause of the slow connection.
> b. suggest a solution

I don't have a configuration that I easily can test from, but I have a
guess that you could try: for all your remote servers, right-click and
pick Edit SQL Server Registration Properties and uncheck "Display server
state in console".

--
Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@.sommarskog.se

Books Online for SQL Server SP3 at
http://www.microsoft.com/sql/techin.../2000/books.asp

No comments:

Post a Comment