Friday, February 24, 2012

Enterprise Manager - SQL Server does not exist or access denied

I've searched around google & here and can't find a solution.
I can connect to my database via a connection string on the web serverbut cannot connect via Enterprise Manager or just by ODBC connection onmy local machine.
I can ping the server fine and switched off my XP firewall & my router firewall, port 1433 is also open.
Someone has tested this from another machine and it works fine (cheers).
What else can I try, this is driving me insane!
Thanks in advance
R
p.s I'm on Win XP SP2, SQL Server 2000 sp3a
Did the someone that tested have SP2 or SP1? I recently hadproblems with Enterprise Manager, SQL Server with SP2. I triedthe Microsoft fixes and was unsuccessful. I noticed the problemoccured pre-SP2, once I uninstalled SP2... it worked fine. Icould be wrong and you may have already tried this or experienced withsomeone elses machine w/ SP2 and may work fine, but I suppose if youhaven't tried it yet... it could be something to look at.
I'm using WinXP SP1, SQL Server 2000 sp3a
|||Port 1433 is a TCP port but you can connect to SQL Server through UDP port and Named pipe if you right click in Enterprise manager and go to the server properties may be your firewall have removed some of the connection points and Microsoft have other ports near 1433 reserved but not used. Hope this helps.|||I did the testing and I'm using WinXP SP2, SQL Server 2000 Personal Edition Service Pack 3
|||I stand corrected... then it must the firewall settings for port 1433
|||Ok, now i'm in trouble.
I completly reinstalled XP (Service Pack 1) and am now going straightinto my set top box for my net connection (no firewall/router involved)
I have not installed SQL Server but I cannot connect to my database via a "UDL" file.
I should be able to connect using the SQL Server driver shouldn't I, without installing SQL Server?
If someone could PM me or get me on MSN I would appreciate someone else trying to connect to my database.
R

|||

shincello wrote:


If someone could PM me or get me on MSN I would appreciate someone else trying to connect to my database.


I am still able to connect to the server using the previously-supplied credentials.
|||Ok, thanks tmorton, I didn't realise it was you who checked it before.
Could I just confirm that I should be able connect through the SQL driver in a UDL file WITHOUT installing SQL Server?
I can access the SQL Server within an ASP.NET page on 2 differentexternal servers (web based) but cannot access the server from my'localhost' ASP.NET pages or through the direct UDL link.
The only thought I have beyond this is that my ISP must be blocking some connection?
|||Resolved!
I hooked up to another ISP and it worked straight away, weird eh?
Now i've got to speak to them to try to resolve it..
So anyone on NTL broadband in the UK WATCH OUT!
R
|||I spoke to my ISP and they gave me a list of proxy servers to go through to try to resolve this.
1) Is this likely to help at all?
2) How do I change the proxy server for Enterprise Manager? Or can ijust change my Proxy server for my whole network connection?
Cheers
Rich
|||

shincello wrote:

I spoke to my ISP and they gave me a list of proxy servers to go through to try to resolve this.
1) Is this likely to help at all?
2) How do I change the proxy server for Enterprise Manager? Or can ijust change my Proxy server for my whole network connection?


I'm sorry, this is outside my area of knowledge. Hopefully someone else will chime in.

No comments:

Post a Comment