Sunday, February 19, 2012

Enterprise Manager 2000?

Hi all... I'm a total novice to MSSQL.
My web host says I need a copy of Enterprise Manager 2000 to access a MSSQL
DB they have set up on my site.
After looking at the MS site and various product literature... I am TOTALLY
confused.
What must I buy... the most minimum thing... to get a copy of Enterprise Ma
nager 2000. OR - is this anthing that is available for download anywhere?
Obviously, I'm not RUNNING SQL, I just need to manage a database that my web
host is running on their server.
Thanks in advance...
TimThis is quite a common question so I trying to find a "legally correct"
answer. However, in the mean time you could use this
SQL Server Web Data Administrator
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...&displaylang=en
HTH
Jasper Smith (SQL Server MVP)
I support PASS - the definitive, global
community for SQL Server professionals -
http://www.sqlpass.org
"Tmilo" <webmaster@.emailmover.com> wrote in message
news:397DCFF7-CD92-4478-9585-C3C3DEA07573@.microsoft.com...
> Hi all... I'm a total novice to MSSQL.
> My web host says I need a copy of Enterprise Manager 2000 to access a
MSSQL DB they have set up on my site.
> After looking at the MS site and various product literature... I am
TOTALLY confused.
> What must I buy... the most minimum thing... to get a copy of Enterprise
Manager 2000. OR - is this anthing that is available for download
anywhere?
> Obviously, I'm not RUNNING SQL, I just need to manage a database that my
web host is running on their server.
> Thanks in advance...
> Tim|||Thanks for the link, but.... unless I'm mistaken, the web solution you poi
nted me to is another server installed MS product. I'm not on a dedicated s
erver, so I cannot install additional software on it. So, I guess I'm stil
l where I started, and that
is what I must buy, at a minumum, to get a copy of Enterprise Manager. Or,
perhaps someone knows of an equivalent (and hopefully cheap) product?|||Hi,
Jasper pointed you to a correct link. To be more detailed
MS Web Data administrator acts similar to Enterprise
manager with reasonable functionalities. You dont need to
Install this on the Database Server(ISP).
The supported OS for running this tool are Windows XP and
Windows 2000 Server which has IIS . What else u r looking
for? Just Install this on your machine and you can manage
remote databases on a fly.
I am afraid you cannot use Enterprise manager until you
are a owner of a copy of SQL Server
Developer /standard/Personal/Enterpsise Editions.
Regards
Thirumal

>--Original Message--
>Thanks for the link, but.... unless I'm mistaken, the
web solution you pointed me to is another server installed
MS product. I'm not on a dedicated server, so I cannot
install additional software on it. So, I guess I'm still
where I started, and that is what I must buy, at a
minumum, to get a copy of Enterprise Manager. Or,
perhaps someone knows of an equivalent (and hopefully
cheap) product?
>
>.
>|||Developer Edition you can get for $49, and it includes a database engine as
well. I'm pretty sure you will be allowed to use that EM against your SQL
Server, but you'd want to check to be certain.
Also, on my web-site, the links section, you find URL's to a number of other
management tools, some free.
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
http://www.karaszi.com/sqlserver/default.asp
"Tmilo" <webmaster@.emailmover.com> wrote in message
news:2CC334F4-E3E7-446D-9D94-469F4318DAD2@.microsoft.com...
> Thanks for the link, but.... unless I'm mistaken, the web solution you
pointed me to is another server installed MS product. I'm not on a
dedicated server, so I cannot install additional software on it. So, I
guess I'm still where I started, and that is what I must buy, at a minumum,
to get a copy of Enterprise Manager. Or, perhaps someone knows of an
equivalent (and hopefully cheap) product?
>
>|||> I'm pretty sure you will be allowed to use that EM against your SQL
> Server, but you'd want to check to be certain.
I was told that my claim above is incorrect. I'm trying to hunt down some
documentation or link about it and will post back if I find such.
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
http://www.karaszi.com/sqlserver/default.asp
"Tibor Karaszi" <tibor_please.no.email_karaszi@.hotmail.nomail.com> wrote in
message news:ejiBpMmDEHA.3016@.TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> Developer Edition you can get for $49, and it includes a database engine
as
> well. I'm pretty sure you will be allowed to use that EM against your SQL
> Server, but you'd want to check to be certain.
> Also, on my web-site, the links section, you find URL's to a number of
other
> management tools, some free.
> --
> Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
> http://www.karaszi.com/sqlserver/default.asp
>
> "Tmilo" <webmaster@.emailmover.com> wrote in message
> news:2CC334F4-E3E7-446D-9D94-469F4318DAD2@.microsoft.com...
> pointed me to is another server installed MS product. I'm not on a
> dedicated server, so I cannot install additional software on it. So, I
> guess I'm still where I started, and that is what I must buy, at a
minumum,
> to get a copy of Enterprise Manager. Or, perhaps someone knows of an
> equivalent (and hopefully cheap) product?
>|||Thanks all... I bought a copy of MSSQL Developer's version today. It sho
uld fit my needs nicely.
Appreciate the feedback!|||My MVP lead found such a reference for me. A below URL:
http://www.microsoft.com/sql/msde/howtobuy/msdeuse.asp
There's a Q:
Q. Can I use SQL Server tools and services in conjunction with MSDE?
In the answer, there's this section:
"Note: The tools and services included with SQL Server Developer Edition may
not be used to manage production server environments."
This is pretty clear on the subject. I have requested from MS to provide
some FAQ or URL which discusses this scenario explicitly. If such will
appear, I don't know, or how long it would take...
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
http://www.karaszi.com/sqlserver/default.asp
"Tibor Karaszi" <tibor_please.no.email_karaszi@.hotmail.nomail.com> wrote in
message news:OYM3DGpDEHA.3804@.TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> I was told that my claim above is incorrect. I'm trying to hunt down some
> documentation or link about it and will post back if I find such.
> --
> Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
> http://www.karaszi.com/sqlserver/default.asp
>
> "Tibor Karaszi" <tibor_please.no.email_karaszi@.hotmail.nomail.com> wrote
in
> message news:ejiBpMmDEHA.3016@.TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> as
SQL
> other
you
> minumum,
>

No comments:

Post a Comment