Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Entering all the data in one big table

I am entering text heavy data in one big table, which has many columns. One
problem I'm having is the text does not fit in some rows (because the
characters are so many) and I have to truncate if the text is longer than
the length defined for the column.
Now I am hoping to change the design so that I don't need to truncate any
data. I know that creating a properly normalized database would solve the
problem, but this is very difficult for the situation I have. The change
should be as small as possible. What would be the best way to solve this
problem?You might want to use the TEXT datatype for some of the larger columns. You
can fit 2GB in each.
--
Andrew J. Kelly SQL MVP
"TomTom" <no_spam_please@.TomTom.com> wrote in message
news:uc2imULAEHA.3004@.TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> I am entering text heavy data in one big table, which has many columns.
One
> problem I'm having is the text does not fit in some rows (because the
> characters are so many) and I have to truncate if the text is longer than
> the length defined for the column.
> Now I am hoping to change the design so that I don't need to truncate any
> data. I know that creating a properly normalized database would solve the
> problem, but this is very difficult for the situation I have. The change
> should be as small as possible. What would be the best way to solve this
> problem?
>
>|||I'm working on international text. If I do it, then I cannot host Japanese
and Korean on the same machine. Is this correct?
"Andrew J. Kelly" <sqlmvpnoooospam@.shadhawk.com> wrote in message
news:uYvGhpMAEHA.3936@.TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> You might want to use the TEXT datatype for some of the larger columns.
You
> can fit 2GB in each.
> --
> Andrew J. Kelly SQL MVP
>
> "TomTom" <no_spam_please@.TomTom.com> wrote in message
> news:uc2imULAEHA.3004@.TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> > I am entering text heavy data in one big table, which has many columns.
> One
> > problem I'm having is the text does not fit in some rows (because the
> > characters are so many) and I have to truncate if the text is longer
than
> > the length defined for the column.
> >
> > Now I am hoping to change the design so that I don't need to truncate
any
> > data. I know that creating a properly normalized database would solve
the
> > problem, but this is very difficult for the situation I have. The change
> > should be as small as possible. What would be the best way to solve this
> > problem?
> >
> >
> >
>|||You can use nText datatype to store unicode data.
--
Andrew J. Kelly SQL MVP
"TomTom" <no_spam_please@.TomTom.com> wrote in message
news:OoeSKSYAEHA.132@.TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> I'm working on international text. If I do it, then I cannot host Japanese
> and Korean on the same machine. Is this correct?
>
> "Andrew J. Kelly" <sqlmvpnoooospam@.shadhawk.com> wrote in message
> news:uYvGhpMAEHA.3936@.TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> > You might want to use the TEXT datatype for some of the larger columns.
> You
> > can fit 2GB in each.
> >
> > --
> > Andrew J. Kelly SQL MVP
> >
> >
> > "TomTom" <no_spam_please@.TomTom.com> wrote in message
> > news:uc2imULAEHA.3004@.TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> > > I am entering text heavy data in one big table, which has many
columns.
> > One
> > > problem I'm having is the text does not fit in some rows (because the
> > > characters are so many) and I have to truncate if the text is longer
> than
> > > the length defined for the column.
> > >
> > > Now I am hoping to change the design so that I don't need to truncate
> any
> > > data. I know that creating a properly normalized database would solve
> the
> > > problem, but this is very difficult for the situation I have. The
change
> > > should be as small as possible. What would be the best way to solve
this
> > > problem?
> > >
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
>

No comments:

Post a Comment