Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Enter Parameter Value

Hey in Access MDB you can create a query that when you run it, it will ask you to Enter the Paramer Value, User could enter in a year or Team Member Number or however you have the query set up. is this possible in SQL ADP?No, not in SQL. Prompting the user for input is the responsibility of the interface, not the database engine. Access has an interface packaged with the engine. SQL Server is purely a database engine.

Your ASP page will need to check the stored procedure to determine which parameters are required and provide a means for the user to enter them.|||Thank you Blindman, wasnt sure|||How have you been??|||I actually think that an ADP (Access Data Project) can do interactive prompting, but I'm not sure how to make that happen. Since all of the ADP code actually runs on the client (either via the web page or within the project itself), I don't see any problem...

I'll have to experiment and see if I can finger out how to make this fly, but it won't be today.

-PatP|||Yeah I was hoping there would be a way of doing that, I'll have to do some investigating. It would make things a little easier for me though|||Even if you could find a way to automate this at the ASP layer, wouldn't it be limited to prompting for the often cryptic parameter names specified by the procedure developer?

Not very user friendly...|||I'm not sure what ADP projects to ASP. I think that Desiree is looking for a pure ADP configuration at least for now. I'll investigate both ADP and how it projects into ASP though.

-PatP|||ADP ASP ADP ASP ADP ASP ADP ASP...

Oh. aDp!

<Mild embarrasment./>|||I've never had that happen, but I read about it in this book once... ;)

-PatP|||When I open up a stored procedure in an Access Data Project it does prompt me for the parameter.

No comments:

Post a Comment